Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Jeffrey S Brooks
|Description:||xvi, 155 pages ; 23 cm|
|Contents:||Educational leadership: it's not about race, right? --
1. Racism and educational (mis)leadership in the United States : Race in the United States ; Race and education in the United States ; Mulholland Falls and DuBois High School: a context to study racism and educational leadership --
pt. I. From social justice to racism. 2. Distributed leadership for social justice : School leadership: a distributed perspective ; Leadership for social justice: from abstract ideals to everyday practice ; Leaders as transformational public intellectuals ; Leadership for bridging and connecting people ; School leaders as critical activists ; Transformational public intellectualism, stretched across a school ; Distributed anti-intellectualism versus liberation leadership ; International baccalaureate program: one subcommunity of scholars for social justice ; Black leaders as transformational public intellectuals ; Bridgework as distributed leadership for social justice ; Communication and awareness: critical aspects of bridgework ; Building bridges for social justice: individual and institutional leadership ; Distributed critical activism ; Distributed conscientizacão ; Soft revolutions and hard revolutions: activists taking a stand in different ways ; Is leadership for social justice enough? ; How can distributed leadership for social justice improve education? --
3. Black leadership, white leadership: race and race relations in an urban high school : School leadership as a racial moiety ; Black leadership subculture at DuBois High School ; White leadership subculture at DuBois High School ; Dual culture interaction at DuBois High School --
pt. II. Racism and educational misleadership. 4. Honky leadership: white teacher in a black school --
5. The black leadership experience: living the dream or expelled to excel? : Paul Alphonse, guidance counselor ; Myra Watkins-Glenn, social studies teacher ; DeShawn Mooney, English teacher ; Paul Regis, science teacher ; Good teachers are more than good teachers --
6. That program ain't never done a thing for black kids, or has it? --
7. The silent language of racism : The silent language ; Interaction ; Association ; Subsistence ; Sexuality ; Territoriality ; Temporality ; Learning ; Play ; Defense ; Conclusion --
8. Educational misleadership : Incompetence ; Indifference and apathy ; Avoidance ; Unethical behavior --
pt. III. Lessons learned and possibilities for the future. 9. Moving toward a new educational leadership : Racism influences leadership practice ; Conclusion --
The myth of a post-racial society, a conversation with Bill Ayers --
Methodological appendix : Research design ; Data collection ; Data analysis ; Validity.
|Responsibility:||Jeffrey S. Brooks ; Foreword by Lisa D. Delpit ; Afterword by William Ayers.|
"In Black School White School, Jeffrey Brooksilluminates an understudied aspect of institutional racism in education:racism and racial privilege among educational leaders (such as principals). Brooks convincingly shows how White privilege and unconscious bias trickles down from administrators to teachers to ultimately infect the student body. After reading this important book, one is thoroughly convinced that 'leadership matters' with respect to race and education." - Dalton Conley.
Retrieving notes about this item
- Racism in education -- United States.
- Educational leadership -- United States.
- African American school principals.
- Educational leadership.
- Racism in education.
- United States.
User lists with this item (6)
- "L" Lamson's Newest Acquisitions in Education(152 items)
by LamsonFitz updated about 3 weeks ago
- bed FY15(224 items)
by kimsalzer updated 2015-08-19
- September 2014 New Titles(253 items)
by bevdchar updated 2014-10-07
- Day of Common Learning, 2013(44 items)
by clstrong updated 2013-10-08
- 2013-February: New Items at the SPU Library(266 items)
by spulibrary updated 2013-03-04