Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Jeffrey S Brooks
|Description:||xvi, 155 pages ; 23 cm|
|Contents:||Educational leadership: it's not about race, right? --
1. Racism and educational (mis)leadership in the United States : Race in the United States ; Race and education in the United States ; Mulholland Falls and DuBois High School: a context to study racism and educational leadership --
pt. I. From social justice to racism. 2. Distributed leadership for social justice : School leadership: a distributed perspective ; Leadership for social justice: from abstract ideals to everyday practice ; Leaders as transformational public intellectuals ; Leadership for bridging and connecting people ; School leaders as critical activists ; Transformational public intellectualism, stretched across a school ; Distributed anti-intellectualism versus liberation leadership ; International baccalaureate program: one subcommunity of scholars for social justice ; Black leaders as transformational public intellectuals ; Bridgework as distributed leadership for social justice ; Communication and awareness: critical aspects of bridgework ; Building bridges for social justice: individual and institutional leadership ; Distributed critical activism ; Distributed conscientizacão ; Soft revolutions and hard revolutions: activists taking a stand in different ways ; Is leadership for social justice enough? ; How can distributed leadership for social justice improve education? --
3. Black leadership, white leadership: race and race relations in an urban high school : School leadership as a racial moiety ; Black leadership subculture at DuBois High School ; White leadership subculture at DuBois High School ; Dual culture interaction at DuBois High School --
pt. II. Racism and educational misleadership. 4. Honky leadership: white teacher in a black school --
5. The black leadership experience: living the dream or expelled to excel? : Paul Alphonse, guidance counselor ; Myra Watkins-Glenn, social studies teacher ; DeShawn Mooney, English teacher ; Paul Regis, science teacher ; Good teachers are more than good teachers --
6. That program ain't never done a thing for black kids, or has it? --
7. The silent language of racism : The silent language ; Interaction ; Association ; Subsistence ; Sexuality ; Territoriality ; Temporality ; Learning ; Play ; Defense ; Conclusion --
8. Educational misleadership : Incompetence ; Indifference and apathy ; Avoidance ; Unethical behavior --
pt. III. Lessons learned and possibilities for the future. 9. Moving toward a new educational leadership : Racism influences leadership practice ; Conclusion --
The myth of a post-racial society, a conversation with Bill Ayers --
Methodological appendix : Research design ; Data collection ; Data analysis ; Validity.
|Responsibility:||Jeffrey S. Brooks ; Foreword by Lisa D. Delpit ; Afterword by William Ayers.|
Retrieving notes about this item
- Racism in education -- United States.
- Educational leadership -- United States.
- African American school principals.
- Educational leadership.
- Racism in education.
- United States.
User lists with this item (5)
- September 2014 New Titles(253 items)
by bevdchar updated 2014-10-07
- "L" Lamson's Newest Acquisitions in Education(109 items)
by LamsonFitz updated about 3 weeks ago
- Day of Common Learning, 2013(44 items)
by clstrong updated 2013-10-08
- 2013-February: New Items at the SPU Library(266 items)
by spulibrary updated 2013-03-04
- SOE-- New 11.5.12(42 items)
by clstrong updated 2013-02-21